SPAN’s mission is to evolve a visible community for artist –led activity in Scotland, owning a shared understanding of what quality practice is in this sector presenting an informed and galvanised creative sector presence in the field of criminal justice.
- That artists offer a vital opportunity to support learning, well being and self –expression to Scotland’s offenders.
- That a connected arts community can strengthen the quality and impact of the artist placed in a criminal justice context.
- To create an evolving network of artists and organisations working together to deliver arts provision in Scottish Prisons and to provide opportunities for these artists and organisations to develop further.
- To promote cultural activity in prisons and advocate the link between art and learning across Prisons in Scotland.
- To disseminate best practice happening in Scotland in an international forum and inform next practice in the field.
- To provide opportunities for professional development across the sector.
- To serve as a central and unique information hub signposting individuals and families affected by the criminal justice system to creative projects and relevant opportunities happening across the country through online resources.